W. Alton Jones Foundation
Sustainable World Program
1995 Grants to Balance Economic and Environmental Needs
- Center for Environmental Citizenship * May 1995 - $20,000
- To engage young people in discussions about environmental, economic and social challenges.
- Center for Global Change * Nov 1995 - $150,000 over 2 years
University of Maryland
College Park, MD
- To advance environmental tax reform which promotes economic well-being and ensures environmental sustainability.
- Clearinghouse on Environmental Advocacy and Research * May 1995 - $120,000
A Project of the Environmental Working Group at the Tides Foundation
- For a national information clearinghouse to collect and disseminate information on environmental backlash.
- Keystone Center * Feb 1995 - $100,000
- To address the problems raised by unfunded federal environmental mandates and to advance solutions.
- National Wildlife Federation * Feb 1995 - $33,600
- For analysis and public education about government "takings" in New Hampshire.
- New Hampshire Wildlife Federation Trust * Nov 1995 - $68,522
New Hampshire Wildlife Trust, Inc.
- To hold an educational workshop and presidential candidate forum to address the federal government's appropriate role in protecting the environment.
- Public Education Center * Nov 1995 - $70,000
- For investigative reporting in Virginia to examine efforts by government and pollution industries to undermine existing environmental protection standards.
- Scenic America * Feb 1995 - $35,000
- To inform civic leaders nationwide about the need to balance private property rights and natural resource conservation issues.
- Union of Concerned Scientists * Feb 1995 - $300,000 over 2 years
- To mobilize a network of scientists to counter misinformation about environmental science and encourage responsible media coverage of environmental issues.
- The Wilderness Society * May 1995 - $100,000
- To build a grassroots network of citizens to advance environmental protection and to press for reform of environmentally destructive laws in the western United States.
- Alabama Environmental Council * Feb 1995 - $60,000 over 2 years
Alabama Conservancy, Inc.
- To address issues raised by "takings" advocates and preserve policies which protect the environment and public health.
- Columbia River Bioregional Education Project * Nov 1995 - $11,000
- To promote community-based environmental protection and to help counter anti-environmental efforts in the Okanogan Valley of eastern Washington.
- Dakota Rural Action * Feb 1995 - $27,500
- To examine the impacts of "takings" and other deregulatory proposals on local and state governments and taxpayers.
- Friends of the Columbia Gorge * Nov 1995 - $30,000
- To promote public support of environmental protection in the Columbia River Gorge.
- Idaho Conservation League * Nov 1995 - $40,000
- To promote public support for clean water in Idaho, and expand support for environmental protections generally.
- Maine Audubon Society * Nov 1995 - $24,000
- To promote sustainable economic opportunities and to coordinate efforts in the conservation community to counter anti-environmental efforts.
- Piedmont Environmental Council * Feb 1995 - $25,000
- To educate the public and the media in Virginia about property rights and government "takings."
- Vermont Natural Resources Council * May 1995 - $40,000
- To improve environmental decision-making and to counter the environmental backlash movement in Vermont.
- Virginia Conservation Network * Feb 1995 - $40,000
Conservation Council of Virginia Foundation, Inc.
- To analyze and monitor environmental policy and programs in Virginia, including groundwater protection and pesticide reduction.
- Western Colorado Congress * May 1995 - $40,000
- To build grassroots alliances for sustainable economies western Colorado.
- Western Organization of Resource Councils Education Project * Nov 1995 - $30,000
- For public education and leadership training to protect and preserve sound environmental polices in Montana, Colorado, North Dakota, South Dakota, and Idaho.
Return to Earth & W. Alton Jones Foundation