W. Alton Jones Foundation
Sustainable World Program
1996 Grants for Maintaining Biodiversity in Forest Ecosystems in the Pacific Northwest and Southwestern Canada
- Association of Forest Service Employees for Environmental Ethics * May 1996 - $100,000 over 2 years
- To improve U.S. Forest Service environmental policies and to support employees who challenge unsustainable forest practices in the Pacific Northwest.
- BC Wild * May 1996 - $80,000
A Project of the Earthlife Canada Foundation
Vancouver, BC CANADA
- To preserve and protect biological diversity in British Columbia.
- Ecotrust Canada * Feb 1995 - $50,000
A project of the Earthlife Canada Foundation
Vancouver, BC, CANADA
- To promote conservation-based development in northwestern British Columbia.
- The Institute for Fisheries Resources * Feb 1996 - $60,000
- To encourage collaboration between commercial fishing groups and environmental organizations to promote salmon habitat protection.
- League of Conservation Voters Education Fund * Feb 1996 - $400,000 over 2 years
- To inform residents in the Pacific Northwest about the benefits of maintaining strong environmental protections.
- Natural Resources Defense Council * Nov 1996 - $100,000
New York, NY
- To advocate for protection of British Columbia's coastal rain forests and for changing the demand side of the forest products trade equation.
- Rainforest Action Network * Nov 1996 - $100,000
San Francisco, CA
- For public and policymaker education to protect British Columbian forests and to encourage ecologically sound alternatives to the consumption of paper, pulp, and lumber.
- Sierra Legal Defence Fund Society * May 1996 - $100,000
Vancouver, BC CANADA
- To ensure that British Columbia's Forest Practice Code is implemented in a manner which maximizes environmental protection.
- Blue Mountain Native Forest Alliance * Nov 1996 - $25,000
Baker City, OR
- To assist grassroots activists in monitoring and evaluating forest management activities in the Columbia River basin.
- Blue Mountains Biodiversity Project * May 1996 - $18,000
A Project of the League of Wilderness Defenders
- For public education and forest monitoring efforts in the Blue Mountains region of eastern Oregon.
- Cariboo Chilcotin Conservation Society * May 1996 - $10,000
Cariboo Chilcotin Resource Centre
Williams Lake, BC, CANADA
- To protect central British Columbia's forest, mountain and grassland ecosystems.
- Central Oregon Forest Issues Committee * Nov 1996 - $10,000
A Project of the Central Oregon Environmental Center
- To monitor and improve forest management practices in the Deschutes and Ochoco National Forests, and to conduct public education on forest issues in central Oregon.
- Coast Range Association * Nov 1996 - $25,000
- To protect forest ecosystems and to educate the public about the social and economic impacts of poor forest management.
- Environmental Protection Information Center * Nov 1996 - $40,000
- To protect wildlife and other ecological resources in northern California's redwood forests.
- Friends of Elk River * Nov 1996 - $10,000
A project of Headwaters
Port Orford, OR
- To protect the ancient forest watershed and salmon habitat of the Elk River.
- Headwaters * May 1996 - $40,000
- To promote consevation of the Klamath-Siskiyou bioregion in southern Oregon by clarifying the economic and social benefits of environmental protection.
- Haida Gwaii Expeditions Society * Nov 1996 - $40,000
Old Massett, Haida Gwaii, CANADA
- To promote the involvement of the Haida community om forest planning activities.
- Kettle Range Conservation Group * May 1996 - $18,000
- To protect ancient forests and conduct forest watch activities in the Colville and Okanogan National Forests.
- Klamath Forest Alliance * Nov 1996 - $25,000
- To monitor forest practices in national forests in the Klamath region of Oregon and California and to encourage community support for sustainable forest management.
- Laskeek Bay Conservation Society * Nov 1996 - $40,000
Queen Charlotte City, Haida Gwaii
- To conduct volunteer field science and education programs designed to promote conservation and protect forests in Haida Gwaii.
- Nanakila Institute * Nov 1996 _ $40,000
Kitamaat Village, BC, CANADA
- To develop economic opportunities based on conservation goals for the people of the Haisla Nation.
- Northwest Ecosystem Alliance * May 1996 - $35,000
- To foster and organize public support for forest protection.
- Oregon Natural Resources Council Fund * Nov 1996 - $35,000
- To protect Oregon's ancient forests, water supplies, and salmon habitat.
- Portland Audubon Society * Nov 1996 - $35,000
- To advocate for conservation of public and private forests in the Pacific Northwest.
- Sierra Club of British Columbia * Nov 1996 - $35,000
A Chapter of the Sierra Club of Canada
Victoria, BC CANADA
- To protect and preserve watersheds containing ancient forests in British Columbia.
- Silva Forest Foundation * Nov 1996 - $22,000
Slocan Park, BC CANADA
- For ecosystem-based land use planning using aerial photos, maps and computerized geographic information systems.
- Umpqua Watersheds * Nov 1996 - $15,000
- To monitor and protect forests in the Umpqua River watershed in south central Oregon.
- Valhalla Wilderness Society * Nov 1996 - $35,000
New Denver, BC CANADA
- To protect ecosystems in eastern British Columbia, including grizzly bear habitat, fisheries habitat, and old-growth forest.
- Western Canada Wilderness Committee * Nov 1996 - $25,000
Vancouver, BC CANADA
- To promote the designation of Clayoquot Sound as a United Nations Biosphere Reserve, and to gain permanent protection for the Stoltmann Wilderness.
Return to Earth & W. Alton Jones Foundation