W. Alton Jones Foundation
Secure World Program
1996 Grants to Assess the Full Costs of Being a Nuclear State
- Brookings Institution * Feb 1996 - $30,000
- To publicize and disseminate in a final report the comprehensive economic, military and social costs of the U.S. nuclear weapons program from 1940 to 1995.
- Centre de Documentation et de Recherche sur la Paiz et les Conflits * Nov 1996 - $60,000
Lyon Cedex, FRANCE
- To research, publish and distribute a study on the direct and indirect costs of the French nuclear weapons program from 1945 to the present.
- Childhood Cancer Research Institute * Nov 1996 - $35,000
- To conduct public education on the risks of exposure to radioactive materials and to develop local capacities for health research and monitoring in communities near nuclear weapons product sites.
- Economists Allied for Arms Reduction * Feb 1996 - $50,000
New York, NY
- To use economic analyses to identify local employment alternatives at nuclear weapons facilities and to encourage cleanup and waste management programs at these facilities.
- Government Accountability Project * May 1996 - $40,000
- To provide legal and organizational support to "whistle blowers" and citizens around nuclear weapons facilities.
- Physicians for Social Responsibility * Nov 1996 - $150,000
- For public and policymakers education about the health and environmental impacts of nuclear weapons production.
Return to Earth & W. Alton Jones Foundation